Anal isn't just for inns anymore

Dragonrealms-related stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Quanette, Issus, Phii, Urwin

Anal isn't just for inns anymore

Postby chaosqueued on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:22 pm

New Combo Incarnation

Kodius wrote:Howdy folks,

In an effort to add some complexity back into combat, Combos have made a re-appearance in Combat 3.0. Before you worry - realize these are completely optional!

Combos 3.0 use the new Tactics Skillset. A player can ANALYZE an enemy player or critter from Pole or Melee range to look for holes in its defenses. This is a pure Tactics vs Defense Score test, like all the non-damaging tactical maneuvers (BOB, WEAVE, CIRCLE, SHOVE, TACKLE). If successful, an effect is placed on the enemy indicating their defenses are exposes and the player gets a message indicating what they must do to exploit it.

>>analyze gob
You reveal a moderate weakness in a goblin's defense.
Balance reduction can be inflicted upon the enemy by landing a slam and a feint.
Roundtime: 2 sec.

You will have 30 seconds to inflict the 2-4 moves listed on the enemy. Only hits count, but you or another player may re-analyze to reset the timer and increase the potency of the analyze (10 levels exist). Anyone can analyze the enemy to see what combo is in effect, and land blows to progress the combo. Increased potency changes not only the effect but also the duration of the debuff.

When the combo is finished you will see something such as...

Utilizing good tactics you outmaneuver the goblin and expose weaknesses in its armor.

This indicates the combo was successful and the enemy is now suffering from a debuff. Currently 3 combo types exist, and they and the moves they must use are picked by random (though your held weapon type affects what type of styles you must use)

Armor Reduction

Balance Reduction

Increased chance to Stun

These can be used on players as well, though I don't see it being too unbalancing due to the need to get to melee to apply them.

Future expansion will involve hooks for Endurance and Expertise, self-combos and boss-combos.

Generally players have had the most issues with combos not finishing. This has been a result of:

1). Critters-renumbering so you hit the wrong one

2). The fact ANALYZE isn't a combat maneuver and won't auto-face or auto-engage (it works just like APPRAISE)

3). Folks just taking too much time to kill things and not knowing about re-analyzing to reset the timer

Please let me know if you have any questions or ideas for future expansion!
- Yamcer

"Reports and encourages others to report. Also a raging d-bag."

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them..."
— Thomas Jefferson

"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof."
- Christopher Hitchens
chaosqueued
Savant Crate Monkey

Character Name: Yamcer

Re: Anal isn't just for inns anymore

Postby Joshers on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:15 pm

Ehhh, cool idea but not that useful. I guess it caters to the more braindead melee only players they changed alot of stuff for.
<henri> yo serakk
<henri> im going to be in florida for like a month
<henri> we should bang
<henri> hang
<henri> hang out
<henri> we should hang out
<&serakk> afk
---
Abasha whispers, "you killed 116 people, dear god. and died 9 times"
Joshers
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Banstick McNOTLockout

Postby Silvwyn on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:46 am

Does -everything- in this game need an Analyze guide to help them through the steps?
[18:45] <Teeklin> but seriously (and I didn't think I'd ever say this) I need a vibrator
Silvwyn
Smelly Cat High Level Cawk

Character Name: MY GAMES HAVE GRAPHICS

Postby mazrian on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:17 am

Silvwyn wrote:Does -everything- in this game need an Analyze guide to help them through the steps?

I think it's a neat idea. You generate a combo and if you can complete it you debuff the target. If it teaches tactics at some point I'll probably rewrite my script to use the combos.
mazrian

Character Name: Mazrian Ysselt Pormithius

Postby Madigan on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:30 am

If it teaches tactics, it is going to be pretty cool.
Madigan
Madigan
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Madigan

Postby Silvwyn on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:26 pm

idk. it may only be a 2 sec rt, but everything already takes an eternity to kill as is. so analyzing before every single attack is just more time wasted on combat that's already molasses slow.
[18:45] <Teeklin> but seriously (and I didn't think I'd ever say this) I need a vibrator
Silvwyn

Character Name: MY GAMES HAVE GRAPHICS

Postby WarneckDR on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:56 pm

Silvwyn wrote:idk. it may only be a 2 sec rt, but everything already takes an eternity to kill as is. so analyzing before every single attack is just more time wasted on combat that's already molasses slow.

I don't see it as every single attack. It looks like you use analyze, go through the combo and the critter gets debuffed. You attack it normally for a bit and then analyze again to get a different combo for a new debuff. That is how I would use it in scripts anyway
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, WHAT A RIDE !"
WarneckDR

Character Name: Warneck

Postby Jason on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:27 pm

This is a pretty cool idea.
A swirling vortex of shadows draws itself from the ground and coalesces into a black Moongate, which yawns open like a hungry maw.

Aaoskar jumps back from a black Moongate!
>
(Aaoskar squares up with the moongate, closes his eyes, and takes a running dive through the moongate! Disappearing through the swirling vortex as he screams in terror.)
>
Peon Aaoskar's group went through a black Moongate

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n142 ... sheet2.jpg
Jason
Slutty Intern Jhime

Character Name: Jhime

Postby mazrian on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:44 pm

WarneckDR wrote:
Silvwyn wrote:idk. it may only be a 2 sec rt, but everything already takes an eternity to kill as is. so analyzing before every single attack is just more time wasted on combat that's already molasses slow.

I don't see it as every single attack. It looks like you use analyze, go through the combo and the critter gets debuffed. You attack it normally for a bit and then analyze again to get a different combo for a new debuff. That is how I would use it in scripts anyway

Yeah, something like:

1) Analyze, parse the output into a list of attacks.
2) Do the list of attacks one by one and make sure you hit before moving on.
3) go to 1

You'd end up spending 2-4 seconds analyzing every 30 seconds or so depending on how the attacks went and what else your script had to do. If it teaches tactics it'll probably be worth it.
mazrian

Character Name: Mazrian Ysselt Pormithius

Postby homer3142 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:55 pm

pro-tip: you can just type "ana" for analyze instead of having to copy/paste logs on the forums with "anal first ass", "anal second ass", etc like Leilond does every single day
homer3142
Smelly Cat Kitten

Character Name: Apu

Postby Pureblade on Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:15 am

Silvwyn wrote:Does -everything- in this game need an Analyze guide to help them through the steps?

This isn't really telling someone how to attack/guide them through the steps as much as how to do a combo to create a temporary debuff.

Plus, there's always study, too.
Pureblade
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Pureblade

Postby Joshers on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:47 am

back when I played I liked to do my anal in front of gmpc's in whispers
<henri> yo serakk
<henri> im going to be in florida for like a month
<henri> we should bang
<henri> hang
<henri> hang out
<henri> we should hang out
<&serakk> afk
---
Abasha whispers, "you killed 116 people, dear god. and died 9 times"
Joshers
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Banstick McNOTLockout

Postby Totenus on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:13 pm

Joshers wrote:back when I played I liked to do my anal in front of gmpc's in whispers

+1
Lasciel says, "There's no proof that any of us aren't married to the most eligible necromancer-bachelor in Elanthia."
Lasciel says, "But we can dream."
Totenus
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Madigan

Postby dongfu on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:20 am

homer3142 wrote:pro-tip: you can just type "ana" for analyze instead of having to copy/paste logs on the forums with "anal first ass", "anal second ass", etc like Leilond does every single day

i smell buttsex
dongfu
Savant Crate Monkey

Character Name: Jondong

Return to General Game Discussion