Fixing DR one fucked up system at a time

Dragonrealms-related stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Quanette, Issus, Phii, Urwin

Fixing DR one fucked up system at a time

Postby p0th0n on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:34 pm

OOC:

Announcing the release of a Gnomish airship that flies between M'riss and Langenfirth. It picks up passengers here:

[Langenfirth, The Langenfirth Tree]

And here:

[Fala Inisharon, The Stooping Cypress]

Fare is 50 copper lirums per circle, each way. I hope people enjoy this release. Big thanks to GM Raesh for his help in making this thing a reality. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Melete

One-way trip is about 14 minutes IIRC. It stays docked for just under four minutes.

Just one airship for now, but Orryville has plans to expand his business if it should prove popular. Probably not a ferry-style two-airship system, but maybe a ship from Hara'jaal to another destination, for instance.

Melete
Warchyld says, "You been reported."
Warchyld says, "Like I said you been reported."
Warchyld says, "And you have been reported."
With the speed of a striking snake, you thump Warchyld in the neck with the edge of your flattened palm striking him in the vocal cords. Warchyld clutches his throat, wheezing pathetically.
Leonned says, "Consider yourself warned from interaction with any of my guys."
p0th0n
Smelly Cat Kitten

Character Name: Komarov

Re: Fixing DR one fucked up system at a time

Postby Joshers on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:21 pm

FINALLY something that isn't just for the sake of fucking change.
<henri> yo serakk
<henri> im going to be in florida for like a month
<henri> we should bang
<henri> hang
<henri> hang out
<henri> we should hang out
<&serakk> afk
---
Abasha whispers, "you killed 116 people, dear god. and died 9 times"
Joshers
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Banstick McNOTLockout

Postby methandrock1 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:53 am

it's almost like they've been looking at WoW's 10 million subscribers and thinking.... what if, maybe, we also addressed the things that annoy the hell out of our players...
<@Rach> oh im standing at the bank, minding my own business, asrion opens a gate, demolishes my arm, jumps a gate, leaves
<&serakk> ur at the bottom of a very long list of casualties
<&serakk> dont feel bad

<Calgakus__> where to download crossing travel script
methandrock1
Smelly Cat High Level Cawk

Postby Joshers on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:36 pm

Coming from someone who just jumped the WoW ship I wouldn't follow their philosophy anymore, they only get away with the shit they do because there isn't any other MMOs that compete with them. Also they can afford to shed a million users here and there like its nothing, DR needs to make its customers feel warm and loved.
<henri> yo serakk
<henri> we should bang
<henri> hang
<henri> hang out
<&serakk> afk
---
Joshers
Smelly Cat Immortal

Postby Destron on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:08 am

It's almost comical how long it takes them to make actual, requested changes that improve the quality of the game.
>Kiorlien asks, "Are ye a Paladin sir Vasilim?"
>Vasilim says, "depends on how many drinks"

"Player Versus Player is frowned upon in DragonRealms.
Only courteous players survive here!"
Destron
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Rudius

Postby Taghz on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:48 pm

Destron wrote:It's almost comical how long it takes them to make actual, requested changes that improve the quality of the game.

Internal Politics between developers, area owners, and events team will and always be the cause of DRs slow decline.
Taghz
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Taghz

Postby Drewskii on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:08 pm

Taghz wrote:Internal Politics between developers, area owners, and events team will and always be the cause of DRs slow decline.

This. I get that they can't afford/too cheap to hire a dedicated development team, but for fucks sake hire at least 1 person who knows game balance, and some customer service, and take control of the game back from the former players with their bias and vendettas.

Bubba your job is to tell the GMs what to do, not for them to tell you what they are going to let happen.
Drewskii
Smelly Cat Noob

Character Name: Baeleth

Postby ItsRagranBitches on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:44 am

If WoW has over 10,000,000 subscribers, not to mention a terrain of many, many other RPGs ranging in price, levels of dev sophistication, and fee models, there HAS TO BE MORE THAT 250 PPL PLAYING 2 OR MORE ACCOUNTS AT ONCE that are AD&D loving, nerd-ready, and thirsty for a free-form ZORK environment.

I understand the frustration. I invested a fuckton of money in an internet website that I was not smart enough to really monetize in a big way and that I no longer even visit. Had I not focused on content - which is slowly falling apart - and stuck to the Ticketsnow.com model - which would have been WAAAAY cheaper in the beginning before I went in the wrong direction - it would be throwing off about $500K/mth per a study I commissioned - Im just not throwing any more money in because im totally defeated and skeered and basically fuck the interweb. So Im not casting stones.

But JFC what a disappointment. If there were more people - as we all say day in and day out - I'd be playing because there would be a daily chance for high adventure and a sense that we are intermingling with a population of strangers - which helps with emersion - it used to feel like any other city, town, lonely trail, public transportation, etc. Sucks balls having it be schvartz and 3 other twats.

Curiosity:
Of course no one here has done a study or knows the answer, but do you people think if simu had kept the price at $5 (or whatever it was - i don't rememebr) that they would have more than 3X more players than they presently have - meaning price is $15 now, at $5 would need 3X current headcount to break even? Or is everything relative? Everyone would still have out-flowed to WoW; an aging player base would have moved on; and a goal/affordable strategy to bring in significant new subs on a yearly basis wouldn't have materialized?

That's my question if anyone cares to chime in.
Descendents, I'm Not A Loser
You think that life is really tough when your daddy won't buy you a brand new car
Take a girl out, she won't fuck you, you just bought her a gram of coke
Spent all your money on shitty coke

I'm not a loser!, that's right, I'm not a loser!, I'm not a loser!
ItsRagranBitches
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Ragran

Postby Joshers on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:17 am

I think alot of people would have stuck with it if the price hadn't been the same as bigger, more advanced online games. Wouldn't have made a difference for me, though, or alot of others. Shoddy customer service was the killing blow in alot of respects, and then you have the overall boring gameplay that widespread genie and new exp caused with the strange rat race mentality that developed in the more recent years.
<henri> yo serakk
<henri> we should bang
<henri> hang
<henri> hang out
<&serakk> afk
---
Joshers
Smelly Cat Immortal

Postby ItsRagranBitches on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:45 pm

googled elanthia. urban dictionary #4 on index.

Urban Dictionary: Elanthia
17 up, 11 down
The imaginary world from the text based game dragonrealms. It's known to harbor many a lonely middle-aged nerd who can't handle a graphical game on their top of the line computer purchased in 1998.

Korsik wandered aimlessly around Elanthia, seeking that one day he would regain his thief ability to snipe. He had to settle with a purse available in the Theren shop.
You think that life is really tough when your daddy won't buy you a brand new car

ItsRagranBitches
Smelly Cat Immortal

Postby ItsRagranBitches on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:03 pm

urbandictionary.com: dragonrealms

1. A text-based game that often attracts forty-five year old female drama queens that reportedly weigh over two thousand pounds.

Ahnoui whispers, "look, you stupid cunt, he's my friend and not yours. if you don't back off, i'm going to report you to the gamemasters for OOC harassment."

^ Plays Dragonrealms and weighs over two thousand pounds.

2. dragonrealms
79 up, 16 down
A text based game owned and operated by the Simutronics corporation. The game is played by "scripting" your characters while not actually watching them. It is rumored that sometimes, when nobody is looking, scripted characters come to life and have conversations with each other, having developed some sort of rudimentary A.I.

"Though the owner of Prescious married and stopped playing long ago, the character has continued to amass wealth, and has even gone so far as to purchase other characters to expand her empire."

3. dragonrealms
53 up, 20 down
Dragonrealms is an online text-based fantasy game set in a world curiously devoid of dragons. The player base consists of older players that can’t let go of the past and younger players that can’t afford graphics cards.

WTF, WoW is down? I'm going to log in to Dragonrealms and shoot some n00bs.

* Walmart was just struck down!

which one did you write dong?

ItsRagranBitches
Smelly Cat Immortal

Postby p0th0n on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:16 pm

ItsRagranBitches wrote:urbandictionary.com: dragonrealms

1. A text-based game that often attracts forty-five year old female drama queens that reportedly weigh over two thousand pounds.

Ahnoui whispers, "look, you stupid cunt, he's my friend and not yours. if you don't back off, i'm going to report you to the gamemasters for OOC harassment."

^ Plays Dragonrealms and weighs over two thousand pounds.

2. dragonrealms
79 up, 16 down
A text based game owned and operated by the Simutronics corporation. The game is played by "scripting" your characters while not actually watching them. It is rumored that sometimes, when nobody is looking, scripted characters come to life and have conversations with each other, having developed some sort of rudimentary A.I.

"Though the owner of Prescious married and stopped playing long ago, the character has continued to amass wealth, and has even gone so far as to purchase other characters to expand her empire."

3. dragonrealms
53 up, 20 down
Dragonrealms is an online text-based fantasy game set in a world curiously devoid of dragons. The player base consists of older players that can’t let go of the past and younger players that can’t afford graphics cards.

WTF, WoW is down? I'm going to log in to Dragonrealms and shoot some n00bs.

* Walmart was just struck down!

which one did you write dong?

someone needs to update that thing with prescious in it as she apparently got cheated on w/ her best friend and divorced and has been trying to sell all her DR assets for a couple years now and begging for donations
Warchyld says, "You been reported."
Warchyld says, "Like I said you been reported."
Warchyld says, "And you have been reported."
With the speed of a striking snake, you thump Warchyld in the neck with the edge of your flattened palm striking him in the vocal cords. Warchyld clutches his throat, wheezing pathetically.
Leonned says, "Consider yourself warned from interaction with any of my guys."
p0th0n
Smelly Cat Kitten

Character Name: Komarov

Postby Destron on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:17 pm

The funniest part is those are almost 10 years old at this point.
>Kiorlien asks, "Are ye a Paladin sir Vasilim?"
>Vasilim says, "depends on how many drinks"

"Player Versus Player is frowned upon in DragonRealms.
Only courteous players survive here!"
Destron
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Rudius

Postby Guyus on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:17 pm

@5 bucks a month I most likely would have never canceled my account and just let it it get billed regardless if i was playing or not.
"This aggression will not stand, man"
Guyus
Savant Crate Monkey

Character Name: Guyus

Return to General Game Discussion