Officer Caraamon the script police reporting for duty

Spread the hate faster than Maries spreads her legs for anyone.

Moderators: Quanette, Issus, Phii, Urwin

Re: Officer Caraamon the script police reporting for duty

Postby ItsRagranBitches on Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:15 pm

Mord wrote:
mazrian wrote:TBH I would have quit DR in like 2006 if it weren't for IRC.

Yeah it makes DR more fun because you don't actually have to play DR to socialize with DR people all the while you're able to train up your char.

That's my point in a nutshell.
Descendents, I'm Not A Loser
You think that life is really tough when your daddy won't buy you a brand new car
Take a girl out, she won't fuck you, you just bought her a gram of coke
Spent all your money on shitty coke

I'm not a loser!, that's right, I'm not a loser!, I'm not a loser!
ItsRagranBitches
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Ragran

Postby Ponchi on Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:39 pm

I specifically don't do chats for that very reason. I also avoid over AIM use, I basically only talk to people who talk to me. I've found that it makes me and my Character a little less predictable (and hopefully more interesting) for players. They don't already know what my reactions are going to be.
"I argue very well. Ask any of my remaining friends. I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me."
Ponchi
Smelly Cat Fanboy

Postby Totenus on Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:48 pm

I would without a doubt be long gone were it not for IRC and SC. While they may well reduce the need to socialize within the game, I would not have survived the soulless isolation of M'Riss for long without alternative social outlets.
Lasciel says, "There's no proof that any of us aren't married to the most eligible necromancer-bachelor in Elanthia."
Lasciel says, "But we can dream."
Totenus
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Madigan

Postby Mord on Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:57 pm

lol yeah but maybe, just maybe, you wouldn't spend all that time on m'riss if it was actually boring to do so.

Or maybe we'd spend more time fucking around at the spots on the island to get our social fix in while training out there.
Mord
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: None

Postby Joshers on Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:29 pm

I think it was Jason who put it best when he put it this way, saying that IRC is basically a mobilized army in DR. The sort of manpower and communication that is going down in there when shit happens is astounding and hard to keep up with if you're not inside that bubble.
<henri> yo serakk
<henri> im going to be in florida for like a month
<henri> we should bang
<henri> hang
<henri> hang out
<henri> we should hang out
<&serakk> afk
---
Abasha whispers, "you killed 116 people, dear god. and died 9 times"
Joshers
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Banstick McNOTLockout

Postby CuriousB on Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:05 pm

Ditto. IRC is the reason why I keep coming back to DR.

Being in Malaysia is tough due to the opposite time zones. Most of the roleplaying/gweth drama/spaz outs tend to happen while I'm at work or sleeping. Thanks to IRC, I am kept updated on what I've missed and I have motivation to wake up in the morning on weekends to play DR!
CuriousB
Smelly Cat Kitten

Character Name: [undecided]

Postby Madigan on Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:13 pm

I am not a big IM person but I will pop it open every now and then. Fall into Leucius' view of it mostly.
Madigan
Madigan
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Madigan

Postby Silvwyn on Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:34 am

IRC isn't all detrimental, though. Sure, some of us might socialize more in-game if we didn't have that tool available to us, but it also allows us to actively socialize with people our characters might not normally interact with due to location, morality, in-game social circles, etc. And some of us are interested in talking to the players rather than the characters themselves, without spending a half hour having an ooc whisperfest in-game.
[18:45] <Teeklin> but seriously (and I didn't think I'd ever say this) I need a vibrator
Silvwyn
Smelly Cat High Level Cawk

Character Name: MY GAMES HAVE GRAPHICS

Postby Mishaela on Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:30 am

Silvwyn wrote:IRC isn't all detrimental, though. Sure, some of us might socialize more in-game if we didn't have that tool available to us, but it also allows us to actively socialize with people our characters might not normally interact with due to location, morality, in-game social circles, etc. And some of us are interested in talking to the players rather than the characters themselves, without spending a half hour having an ooc whisperfest in-game.

That and the best forms of long-range contact are still way too limited to be used practically. I know wider range would mean gweths being more likely to flood with pointless crap (especially around Theren, goddamn) but I'd prefer having that vs gweths being silent for so long that I wonder if I forgot to reactivate them after an arrest.

Gweth range too big? Attune it to [x]% power so it receives / sends over a shorter distance.
Mishaela
Smelly Cat Noob

Character Name: Stilva

Postby Saranari on Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:03 am

before I discovered irc I would close my account down every couple months out of boredom.
[22:08] <buttbot> keep buttbot ban buttcarna
Saranari
Savant Crate Monkey

Character Name: Saranari

Postby Joshers on Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:13 am

Since we're on the subject, gonna throw this out there and hope some GMs notice: Another reason IRC/chats are so popular over conversing character-to-character in game is NO MODERATED LANGUAGE. There's no goddamn no players in this game and we've all been playing it since we were 12 so let us drop a fucking F bomb here and there. We're all mature enough to atleast handle that, even if some people aren't mature enough to handle pvp or harassment situations. Make it happen.
<henri> yo serakk
<henri> im going to be in florida for like a month
<henri> we should bang
<henri> hang
<henri> hang out
<henri> we should hang out
<&serakk> afk
---
Abasha whispers, "you killed 116 people, dear god. and died 9 times"
Joshers
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Banstick McNOTLockout

Postby Korsik on Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:37 am

Meragin wrote:
Korsik wrote:hey guys you're missing the point that caraamon is a giant flaming faggot who cries himself to sleep every night.
You say, "Pendus, I'll shoot a crossbow bolt into your groin."
You say, "I'm not scared."
Issus says, "Now that's what I call...."
Issus turns a gear on the side of his goggles. The lenses slowly flip from violet to cyan.
Issus says, "Nuts and bolts."
Issus yells, "Yeeeeeeahhhh!"
Korsik
Rippentropp Don't Stop

Character Name: James

Postby Khil on Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:27 pm

My .02.

DR is best when there is something going on which involves everyone whether they like it or not (WAR).

The RP gets to such a feverish pitch that even if you don't regularly "roleplay" you're almost forced into it by the immensity of the storyline unfolding around you.

The court intrigue stuff is too particular. Orders/groups are too particular. When an entire province is under attack, everyone starts to get off their ass and get involved, in part because:

1. Invasions often disrupt your ability to script
2. Invasions require active player participation
3. Invasions require players to work together

I'm not saying DR needs perpetual war, but some kind of huge storyline (a la, Lanival returns - and btw, Lanival should not be a GMPC, but a PC who they pick from a pool of longstanding and well-regarded players - think Madigan) which can't be resolved quickly, isn't province specific, and has enough minor storylines going along with it that it doesn't become just a sit and wait until bad guy shows up so all the HLCs can come have their fun fighting something that's actually maybe a challenge.

Imagine if the World Dragon woke up and the Gods were like Oh shit, and started choosing champions and interacting with mortals, and then guildleaders started getting involved and just all the crazy shit that could happen.

Something like that, with enough creativity/mechanics support, long-term and engaging, might even bring back alot of people who left.

Anyhow, start a race war, or bring Lanival back, is all I'm saying.

- Khil

PS - Get some real fuckin dragons too.
Khil
Smelly Cat Fanboy

Character Name: Khil

Postby Rajao on Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:30 pm

Saranari wrote:before I discovered irc I would close my account down every couple months out of boredom.
[19:58] <Silvwyn> oh man. idk wtf this is, but i think i just won the familiar jackpot
[19:58] <Silvwyn> You hold your talisman tightly and concentrate on summoning your bat.
[19:58] <Silvwyn> After a moment's silence a northern assassin bat appears and glances up at you expectantly.
[20:00] <~incarna> how is that a win
[20:00] <~incarna> it's northern
[20:00] <~incarna> your bat is therengian
[20:00] <~incarna> it'll probably report as soon as it sees something bad happen to you
Rajao
Smelly Cat Beast

Character Name: Rajao

Postby Pariah on Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:14 pm

Khil wrote:(a la, Lanival returns - and btw, Lanival should not be a GMPC, but a PC who they pick from a pool of longstanding and well-regarded players - think Totenus)

ftfy
Your mind hears Barahai thinking, "What's invading the Ranger guild?"
Your mind hears Kealitai thinking, "Some guy named Pariah or something"
Pariah
Savant Crate Monkey

PreviousNext

Return to People You Love to Hate