How I kicked my DR habit

Post about that asshole GameMaster or latest mechanical change here.

Moderators: Quanette, Issus, Phii, Urwin

Re: How I kicked my DR habit

Postby p0th0n on Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:36 pm

Destron wrote:If I had to blame 1 thing for ruining DR and turning it into it's current state I would blame rampant AFK scripting and, to a lesser degree, Genie 2&3. If I had to blame a second thing it would be multiple accounts per player running at any given time, though the two are loosely related.

Shit was just more fun when 50th was some awe-inspiring level only to be attained through a few years of play. Not 2 weeks of AFK scripting.

^agree + customer service bullshit
i mean i thought i was pretty extreme running 4 accounts at once at times and very paranoid about getting caught afk scripting while i was atk (aside from piss/shit breaks here and there) but now everyone has genie and everyone sells these perfect scripts and you have people like larry that can script literally 12-15 characters at once and have no worry of getting caught with all the shit genie provides

as far as the customer service I just started to have too many instances where GMs were too inconsistent with their rules and at times seemed to make up rules on the spot just to give you a warning.

Kind of a shame too because I was liking the new systems but yeah favoritism runs wild in dr and if you happen to have an argument with them they pretty much tell you to fuck off
Warchyld says, "You been reported."
Warchyld says, "Like I said you been reported."
Warchyld says, "And you have been reported."
With the speed of a striking snake, you thump Warchyld in the neck with the edge of your flattened palm striking him in the vocal cords. Warchyld clutches his throat, wheezing pathetically.
Leonned says, "Consider yourself warned from interaction with any of my guys."
p0th0n
Smelly Cat Kitten

Character Name: Komarov

Postby p0th0n on Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:23 pm

ParShift wrote:
Joshers wrote:I'm honestly fucking surprised they kept some of us as long as they did. I'm a fucking idiot for trying to keep giving them my money all these years while perma locked on repeat (though a few of them were well deserved, some of them were bullshit).

It's because if you take away the customer service and the company behind DR, it's a damn good game. That is what's so tragic and unfortunate about DR - it had a lot of potential, but their hostility toward their customers, made that potential unrealized. The Amy Baking Co (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uPOGxUtZvk). comparison is real, that would be a real-life representation of their customer service. I swear to God, I remember both GMs Maelona and Solomon on the boards encouraging customers to cancel their subscriptions so they can "cool off"about a particular change or issue. That's not how you run a company and that's not how you maintain and retain customers.

5 minutes into that show and some quality lols
simu owned kitchen imo
With the speed of a striking snake, you thump Warchyld in the neck with the edge of your flattened palm striking him in the vocal cords. Warchyld clutches his throat, wheezing pathetically.
p0th0n
Smelly Cat Kitten

Postby Magrid on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:23 pm

I kicked my DR habit with WoW and have been there ever since.
(1:35:49 PM) C0lettea1: damn he is hard
(1:54:38 PM) C0lettea1: men suck

Magrid
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Magrid

Postby Lancel on Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:13 pm

Magrid wrote:I kicked my DR habit with WoW and have been there ever since.

I kicked it cold turkey... though admittedly I wanted to quit months before I did.
Lancel
Smelly Cat Resident She-Male

Character Name: Who has time for games

Postby Grey Matter on Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:42 pm

The truth of the matter is that DR still saw more events and content updates than a lot of MMOs out there today and that was 100% thanks to people who spent their free time making experiences for a few hundred others.

There are certainly plenty of examples of GMs playing favorites or inconsistently applying rules. You will also find those examples within your local police force, politicians, etc... I'm sure if you tried you could also find plenty of examples of GMs acting benevolently, or being reasonable human beings.

DR took volunteers and asked them to cater to the entire population of the game, which quite honestly included some of the most insufferable and self-important mouth-breathers I have ever encountered. And that's coming from someone who still works in the game industry today.

Banning people who break the rules, play the edge, or just generally don't get along with others was not what killed DR (though it might be what killed DR for you). It would be far more accurate to blame a lack of adaptation, absent high-level direction, or general short-sightedness for DR's decline.

With a bit of marketing, a few experienced full-time employees from the industry, and a different P2P business model, I think DR could push back up over 1,000 concurrent pretty easily.
Grey Matter
Smelly Cat Kitten

Character Name: Licangaude DragonWolfe

Postby mugoth on Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:06 pm

quote="Grey Matter"]The truth of the matter is that DR still saw more events and content updates[/quote]
no one is arguing that there is a lot of events and (dubious) content. too bad it all fucking sucks

Here's a YEARS WORTH of DragonRealms content:

November Contest -- Show Us Your Pumpkin! - Webstaff on 11/08/2013 (i wont even clilck on this link sounds too fucking retarded)
Just what you've always wanted? - Webstaff on 10/31/2013 (yeah let me pay 5000000 plat for some shit that doesnt do anything - stop reskinning fucking ranger companions into evil monsters, its still a text raccoon)
The Sky Darkens - Webstaff on 10/25/2013 (this might be cool if it wasn't dragonrealms)
"With Peri'el dead or incapacitated, the World Dragon has begun to stir. The Greater and Lesser fists have erupted, destroying Tiv's Moon Mage guild and killing all those present within. The smoke and ash hurled skyward by the eruption has blocked out the sun, plunging Elanthia into endless night.

If Peri'el cannot be healed, the Dragon will surely wake, ending all life on Elanthia. "

elanthia is in real danger... at least until whoever is running this shit goes on vacation or quits or whtever the fuck happens to these events that never seem to pan out into anything or if they do don't have on iota of impact on the game itself
Waking Nightmares - Webstaff on 09/15/2013 (fest time give us the money a lot of work went into preparing these text items that weve been steadily marking up the price on every year since we made them back in 2003)
Real Life Costume Contest! - Webstaff on 10/13/2013 (shut the fuck up)
Elanthia Holds its Breath... - Webstaff on 09/30/2013 (no really give us $$ american dollars for our worthless shit)
Moon Mage Event Primer - Webstaff on 10/07/2013 (allow me to explain all the event shit that has happened in the past 15 years in a few sentences because none of it is important or meaningful in any way to the game)
Changes Coming to Empathic Healing - Webstaff on 09/29/2013 (empaths...)
DR just got a little Race-ier! - Webstaff on 08/27/2013 (oh good because so many great additions to the game are directly related to character race - like all those awesome gamgweth prydaen titles)
Prydaen Culture Faire - Webstaff on 08/11/2013 (shut the fuck up)
Trader Financing Opportunities! - Webstaff on 08/22/2013 (we cant fix commodities we dont understand economics at all even though we can artificially control supply and demand... but heres something...)
BE AWARE: "If you have a POC, you cannot rent kregkeirels anymore."
oh no, no more kregkeirels. what the fuck is a kregkeirel
UnCon 2013! - Webstaff on 08/15/2013 (fucking simucon $95 a night and airfare to drink in a hotel bar in st louis......)
Boxes of Rockses - Webstaff on 08/10/2013 (we release systems but they're retardedly cumbersome so we're constantly tweaking them to be better instead of just releasing something finished so fuckwit players think that we're constantly innovating this centuries old text game high fives all around)
Alchemy 3.0 - Webstaff on 08/10/2013 (sweet a new system that includes a completely inefficient, impractical way to heal my char, a "cooking" discipline so i can make all the tea and alcoholic beverages ive been sorely missing and maybe poisons some day if/when they can figure out a way to prevent chars from ever poisoning anyone)
Top of the Charts - Webstaff on 08/10/2013 (were overhauling this system in real time rather than on a test server so a lot of stuff won't work but don't worry we're going to re-release that same stuff that worked, slowly but surely over the next 3-4 years in tiny increments designed to frustrate the shit out of our players - stay tuned!)
Look! Up in the Sky! - Webstaff on 08/10/2013 (for fuck sake, another fucking system that nobody looked understood and oh guess what its buggy as shit and the math doesnt work/never worked? and nobody knows how to fix it... )
Up, Up, and Away! - Producer on 03/14/2013 (weve made another shitty, slow unreliable way to travel from the mainland to the islands and for some reason it arbitrarily costs 50 copper lirum per circle to ride...... )
Combat C-c-c-combos Return! - Producer on 02/28/2013 (thrilling addition to the PVE experience cant wait to get back out there and start hunting manually, typing the combos in by hand, the way god intended)

quality vs quantity
adding new content to DR is retarded easy...its a fucking text game
I could write those quests and shit in Z-code

Grey Matter wrote:than a lot of MMOs out there today

those games have fucking graphics. and a playerbase. and cost the same $$$ to play... wait a minute...

Grey Matter wrote:and that was 100% thanks to people who spent their free time making experiences for a few hundred others.

oh yeah that thankless job

devoting their valuable as shit free time, the fucking martyrdom
sacrificing of themselves to help those less fortunate

free time they'd probably spend playing DR with their suck ass chars instead they get to play DR with like omnipotent chars with 2000 ranks that they didnt have to train and have the playerbase fawning over them

Grey Matter wrote:There are certainly plenty of examples of GMs playing favorites or inconsistently applying rules. You will also find those examples within your local police force, politicians, etc...

yeah because thats basically the same thing...
and that makes it OK then...
got it

Grey Matter wrote:I'm sure if you tried you could also find plenty of examples of GMs acting benevolently, or being reasonable human beings.

powerful customer service model
act benevolently to those who pay for subscriptions
if at all possible be a reasonable human being

Grey Matter wrote:DR took volunteers and asked them to cater to the entire population of the game,

volunteers
i feel like that word is meaningful
not sure why
Grey Matter wrote:insufferable and self-important mouth-breather

pot to kettle
pot to kettle
come in kettle
Grey Matter wrote:And that's coming from someone who still works in the game industry today.

relevance
or did you just want to let everyone know you were in the game industry
tell us more please so that we might envy you and/or feel bad about ourselves
Grey Matter wrote:Banning people who break the rules, play the edge, or just generally don't get along with others was not what killed DR (though it might be what killed DR for you).

the game is a virtual police state where you cant look away from your keyboard without fear of irrevocable penalty and anytime you interact with someone you have to worry about policy playing fuckers who will get you warnings and shit

what killed DR was that it ISNT FUN and all the people who made it fun left because they were tired of the dickish rules

Grey Matter wrote:It would be far more accurate to blame a lack of adaptation, absent high-level direction, or general short-sightedness for DR's decline.

by "far more accurate" do you mean "broad and vague"

Grey Matter wrote:With a bit of marketing, a few experienced full-time employees from the industry, and a different P2P business model, I think DR could push back up over 1,000 concurrent pretty easily.

are you freebasing crack
they could make it free to play and it wouldnt ever hit 1000 concurrent players
who the fuck wants to play a game that takes its own "lore" that fucking seriously
at a competitive disadvantage against the people who have been playing nonstop for 15 years
where they keep moving the goalposts so that all your accomplishments mean shit since the guildmasters are effectively 500th circle

fuck you you stupid fuck
Kepli says, "You know what we need to protect the area, train is barbs and give up full armor and the best weapons around, then we can keep this city safe. oh and replace them dim guard with his barbs and let us kill people who break the laws insted of throwing them in jail."
>
Kepli yells, "T Lax"
mugoth
Former #1 Liked

Character Name: hing

Postby mugoth on Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:15 pm

fucking simu-apologist holocaust denier
Kepli says, "You know what we need to protect the area, train is barbs and give up full armor and the best weapons around, then we can keep this city safe. oh and replace them dim guard with his barbs and let us kill people who break the laws insted of throwing them in jail."
>
Kepli yells, "T Lax"
mugoth
Former #1 Liked

Postby ItsRagranBitches on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:41 am

mugoth wrote:
Grey Matter wrote:The truth of the matter is that DR still saw more events and content updates

no one is arguing that there is a lot of events and (dubious) content. too bad it all fucking sucks

Here's a YEARS WORTH of DragonRealms content:

November Contest -- Show Us Your Pumpkin! - Webstaff on 11/08/2013 (i wont even clilck on this link sounds too fucking retarded)
Just what you've always wanted? - Webstaff on 10/31/2013 (yeah let me pay 5000000 plat for some shit that doesnt do anything - stop reskinning fucking ranger companions into evil monsters, its still a text raccoon)
The Sky Darkens - Webstaff on 10/25/2013 (this might be cool if it wasn't dragonrealms)
"With Peri'el dead or incapacitated, the World Dragon has begun to stir. The Greater and Lesser fists have erupted, destroying Tiv's Moon Mage guild and killing all those present within. The smoke and ash hurled skyward by the eruption has blocked out the sun, plunging Elanthia into endless night.

If Peri'el cannot be healed, the Dragon will surely wake, ending all life on Elanthia. "

elanthia is in real danger... at least until whoever is running this shit goes on vacation or quits or whtever the fuck happens to these events that never seem to pan out into anything or if they do don't have on iota of impact on the game itself
Waking Nightmares - Webstaff on 09/15/2013 (fest time give us the money a lot of work went into preparing these text items that weve been steadily marking up the price on every year since we made them back in 2003)
Real Life Costume Contest! - Webstaff on 10/13/2013 (shut the fuck up)
Elanthia Holds its Breath... - Webstaff on 09/30/2013 (no really give us $$ american dollars for our worthless shit)
Moon Mage Event Primer - Webstaff on 10/07/2013 (allow me to explain all the event shit that has happened in the past 15 years in a few sentences because none of it is important or meaningful in any way to the game)
Changes Coming to Empathic Healing - Webstaff on 09/29/2013 (empaths...)
DR just got a little Race-ier! - Webstaff on 08/27/2013 (oh good because so many great additions to the game are directly related to character race - like all those awesome gamgweth prydaen titles)
Prydaen Culture Faire - Webstaff on 08/11/2013 (shut the fuck up)
Trader Financing Opportunities! - Webstaff on 08/22/2013 (we cant fix commodities we dont understand economics at all even though we can artificially control supply and demand... but heres something...)
BE AWARE: "If you have a POC, you cannot rent kregkeirels anymore."
oh no, no more kregkeirels. what the fuck is a kregkeirel
UnCon 2013! - Webstaff on 08/15/2013 (fucking simucon $95 a night and airfare to drink in a hotel bar in st louis......)
Boxes of Rockses - Webstaff on 08/10/2013 (we release systems but they're retardedly cumbersome so we're constantly tweaking them to be better instead of just releasing something finished so fuckwit players think that we're constantly innovating this centuries old text game high fives all around)
Alchemy 3.0 - Webstaff on 08/10/2013 (sweet a new system that includes a completely inefficient, impractical way to heal my char, a "cooking" discipline so i can make all the tea and alcoholic beverages ive been sorely missing and maybe poisons some day if/when they can figure out a way to prevent chars from ever poisoning anyone)
Top of the Charts - Webstaff on 08/10/2013 (were overhauling this system in real time rather than on a test server so a lot of stuff won't work but don't worry we're going to re-release that same stuff that worked, slowly but surely over the next 3-4 years in tiny increments designed to frustrate the shit out of our players - stay tuned!)
Look! Up in the Sky! - Webstaff on 08/10/2013 (for fuck sake, another fucking system that nobody looked understood and oh guess what its buggy as shit and the math doesnt work/never worked? and nobody knows how to fix it... )
Up, Up, and Away! - Producer on 03/14/2013 (weve made another shitty, slow unreliable way to travel from the mainland to the islands and for some reason it arbitrarily costs 50 copper lirum per circle to ride...... )
Combat C-c-c-combos Return! - Producer on 02/28/2013 (thrilling addition to the PVE experience cant wait to get back out there and start hunting manually, typing the combos in by hand, the way god intended)

quality vs quantity
adding new content to DR is retarded easy...its a fucking text game
I could write those quests and shit in Z-code

Grey Matter wrote:than a lot of MMOs out there today

those games have fucking graphics. and a playerbase. and cost the same $$$ to play... wait a minute...

Grey Matter wrote:and that was 100% thanks to people who spent their free time making experiences for a few hundred others.

oh yeah that thankless job

devoting their valuable as shit free time, the fucking martyrdom
sacrificing of themselves to help those less fortunate

free time they'd probably spend playing DR with their suck ass chars instead they get to play DR with like omnipotent chars with 2000 ranks that they didnt have to train and have the playerbase fawning over them

Grey Matter wrote:There are certainly plenty of examples of GMs playing favorites or inconsistently applying rules. You will also find those examples within your local police force, politicians, etc...

yeah because thats basically the same thing...
and that makes it OK then...
got it

Grey Matter wrote:I'm sure if you tried you could also find plenty of examples of GMs acting benevolently, or being reasonable human beings.

powerful customer service model
act benevolently to those who pay for subscriptions
if at all possible be a reasonable human being

Grey Matter wrote:DR took volunteers and asked them to cater to the entire population of the game,

volunteers
i feel like that word is meaningful
not sure why
Grey Matter wrote:insufferable and self-important mouth-breather

pot to kettle
pot to kettle
come in kettle
Grey Matter wrote:And that's coming from someone who still works in the game industry today.

relevance
or did you just want to let everyone know you were in the game industry
tell us more please so that we might envy you and/or feel bad about ourselves
Grey Matter wrote:Banning people who break the rules, play the edge, or just generally don't get along with others was not what killed DR (though it might be what killed DR for you).

the game is a virtual police state where you cant look away from your keyboard without fear of irrevocable penalty and anytime you interact with someone you have to worry about policy playing fuckers who will get you warnings and shit

what killed DR was that it ISNT FUN and all the people who made it fun left because they were tired of the dickish rules

Grey Matter wrote:It would be far more accurate to blame a lack of adaptation, absent high-level direction, or general short-sightedness for DR's decline.

by "far more accurate" do you mean "broad and vague"

Grey Matter wrote:With a bit of marketing, a few experienced full-time employees from the industry, and a different P2P business model, I think DR could push back up over 1,000 concurrent pretty easily.

are you freebasing crack
who the fuck wants to play a game that takes its own "lore" that fucking seriously
at a competitive disadvantage against the people who have been playing nonstop for 15 years
where they keep moving the goalposts so that all your accomplishments mean shit since the guildmasters are effectively 500th circle

fuck you you stupid fuck

wtff
Descendents, I'm Not A Loser
You think that life is really tough when your daddy won't buy you a brand new car
Take a girl out, she won't fuck you, you just bought her a gram of coke
Spent all your money on shitty coke

I'm not a loser!, that's right, I'm not a loser!, I'm not a loser!
ItsRagranBitches
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Ragran

Postby Joshers on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:45 am

<henri> yo serakk
<henri> im going to be in florida for like a month
<henri> we should bang
<henri> hang
<henri> hang out
<henri> we should hang out
<&serakk> afk
---
Abasha whispers, "you killed 116 people, dear god. and died 9 times"
Joshers
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Banstick McNOTLockout

Postby p0th0n on Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:40 pm

gg
p0th0n
Smelly Cat Kitten

Postby Aeggis on Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:08 pm

so much this
Ventuul says, "Perhaps you should venture forth and find your own stories."

Tildi exclaims, "I will, when I'm bigger and taller!"

You say, "Take this, its dangerous to go alone."

You offer your throwing dagger to Tildi, who has 30 seconds to accept the offer. Type CANCEL to prematurely cancel the offer.

Aeggis
Smelly Cat Beast

Character Name: Uthgaaaaaaaaar

Postby nightmancometh on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:40 pm

i quit because i got judas'd and brutus'd by all you bastards.
nightmancometh
Smelly Cat Noob

Character Name: noneyet

Postby Sinar on Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:12 pm

logs plz
Sinar
Smelly Cat Noob

Character Name: Sinar

Postby mugoth on Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:21 pm

mugoth wrote:

are you freebasing crack

fuck you you stupid fuck

hey look they did and it didn't
>
Kepli yells, "T Lax"
mugoth
Former #1 Liked

Postby Joshers on Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:46 pm

mugoth wrote:
mugoth wrote:

are you freebasing crack

fuck you you stupid fuck

hey look they did and it didn't

You know shit is bad when they basically brought back zone accounts and nobody wants to use them for trollish fun because its that fucking boring.
<henri> yo serakk
<henri> im going to be in florida for like a month
<henri> we should bang
<henri> hang
<henri> hang out
<henri> we should hang out
<&serakk> afk
---
Abasha whispers, "you killed 116 people, dear god. and died 9 times"
Joshers
Smelly Cat Immortal

Character Name: Banstick McNOTLockout